Re: [CQ-Contest] Use of CW decoders in contests - a contrarian opinion

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Use of CW decoders in contests - a contrarian opinion
From: Hank Greeb <hgreeb@one.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 14:35:04 -0400
I ask - How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Seems like the thread about CW Decoders and their utility/futility is
degenerating into the above question.

I personally think we need a new category, ØOMT AB  (That's zero
operators Multi Transmitters, All Band).  The "owner" and legal control
operator is sitting somewhere within paging distance of the rigs, and a
computer is doing all the contacts with multiple stations on 160 thru
daylight (or whichever the lowest wavelength band is allowed for the
particular contest).  This was feasible for packet radio in the 90's (I
did it when I operated Field Day, Class 1B1OP Battery, and had a few
hundred bonus points, while operating CW QRP), so by now it should be
possible with CW, RTTY. and other digital modes.

Or, we can stick to rules made for the 1950's and discourage people from
even trying CW contesting.

73 de n8xx Hg