[CQ-Contest] Question about CQ WPX - Tribander/wires category

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Question about CQ WPX - Tribander/wires category
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 15:32:14 -0400
I have a full size 3 element, 20 metre yagi, which I inherited from a
silent Key for the effort of taking it down, along with a windmill tower
and very heavy radar rotor.

If I were to put it up someplace on my very modest antenna farm, could I
still qualify as a Tribander/wires category?

Or, if I put up a W8JK fixed wire beam for 20/15/10, would it disqualify
me as from the Triband/wires category because it CAN work on 17 and 12
metres?

I'm thinking I need a bit more "punch" for my QRP effort on 20/15/10
because lots of quite loud signals couldn't hear me on their end, even
though they were S9+

A W8JK beam would be easiest - I could point it toward Europe and hope
to work a bit more from there.  As is, it was pretty slim pickings to
Europe with my 80 metre dipole fed with ladder line.

Also, I'm thinking of putting up a full wave loop on 80 metres at about
35 to 40' high.  Would this be considered a multi-element antenna if I
used it on 40 metres?  How about 20/15/10?  I haven't bothered to
research the directivity of a multi-wave loop, but I do remember vaguely
that one gets directivity and gain, and the radiation angle gets lower
as the length of the loop in wavelengths increases.  I think I read
somewhere that a "V" beam or a Rhombic would NOT be considered for the
"Wires" category. which seems logical because one can get quite a big of
gain from a muti-wavelength v-beam or Rhombic.  Of course the horizontal
beam width of a Rhombic gets very sharp when the length gets very long,
so there's a big tradeoff.

I see that most of the QRPers don't claim TB-Wires, so I'd like to stay
in that category for future efforts.

73 de n8xx Hg