Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX SSB UBN questions

To: "'Robert L. Shohet'" <kq2m@earthlink.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX SSB UBN questions
From: "Randy Thompson K5ZD" <k5zd@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 16:32:20 -0000
This topic is covered in the WPX FAQ page and in the log checking report
header.

First, the FAQ page:  http://www.cqwpx.com/rules_faq.htm

<quote>
What are the scoring penalties for errors detected during the log checking?

Incorrect callsign - loss of that QSO plus an additional penalty of the
point value of the QSO

Not in Log - loss of that QSO plus a penalty of 2x the point value of the
QSO

Incorrect serial number (number in log does not match the number sent by the
other station) - loss of that QSO

Duplicate QSO - contact is removed with no additional penalty

Band change error (multi-operator station that violates the band change
rules) - loss of all QSOs on that transmitter until it is back in compliance
with the band change rules

Operation beyond 36 hours for single operators - Loss of all contacts after
the 36 hours of operation (as calculated by the log checking software) has
been reached
<end quote>

Second, the log checking report header.

<quote>
Thank you for submitting a log in the 2009 CQ WW WPX SSB Contest.

Your log checking report is below. We believe it is helpful for participants
to receive information on the errors found in their log.  We hope you use
this opportunity to look for ways to improve.  Remember, a big part of
contesting is the exercise of perfect information exchange.

Explanation of the report sections:

Summary - A summary of the log checking results and final score for your
entry.

Results by Band - A band-by-band breakdown of the QSOs and points for your
entry.

Not In Log - These contacts were not found in the other station's log. QSO
removed with additional penalty.

Incorrect Call - The call logged for these contacts was determined to be
incorrect. QSO removed with additional penalty.

Incorrect Exchange Information - The information you copied does not match
what was in the other station's log. The QSO was removed.

Unique Calls Worked - These calls were not found in any other log.  They
have not been removed, but our experience indicates they are often the
result
of copying errors.

Lost Multipliers - This section lists the multipliers that were lost in your

log due to callsign or exchange copying errors.

Multipliers - This section lists all prefixes that were counted as
multipliers in your log.

Stations Copying Your Exchange Incorrectly - This is a list of contacts
where the station you worked copied your exchange incorrectly. You do not
lose credit for these contacts.  They are only provided for your
information.

Stations Copying Call Incorrectly - This is a list of all contacts we
could identify where the station you worked copied your call incorrectly.
You do not lose credit for these contacts.  They are only provided for your
information. If you have a lot of similar errors, you should concentrate on
ways to send your call differently that may be easier for others to
correctly
copy.

All logs are checked using custom software.  If you believe an error was
made, please provide us with more information. It may help us do a better
job
in the future. Do not expect us to engage in a debate about whether a
particular QSO was valid or not. The decisions of the CQ WPX Committee are
final.
<end quote>

There are some calls marked simply as "Incorrect call".  This is a catch-all
category for calls that are judged to be incorrect during the log checking
process.  This may include not being found in the FCC license database or
based on research done by the log checker (such as reviewing reverse logs
and matching up times/serial numbers with a station known in the contest).

Anyone is welcome to receive a copy of their log checking report for the WPX
Contest by sending a request to k5zd@cqwpx.com.  Please include the call
used, the year, and mode.

Randy Thompson, K5ZD
Director - CQ WPX Contest