Re: [CQ-Contest] Reasonable expections... was Cheerleaders and the impac

To: Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@citlink.net>, kr2q@optimum.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Reasonable expections... was Cheerleaders and the impact
From: Ryan Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 07:03:30 -0400
I usually also send my log soon after the contest (and also upload to
lotw) or the next day if I am tired.

However, given that many contest log software packages prefill
exchanges and give you warnings on the fly about bad/busted exchanges,
aren't you in essence doing "log massaging" on the fly?  I won't lie,
sometimes a contest logging program HAS told me about an improper
exchange and I've corrected it on the fly. I see nothing wrong here.

Another thing to note is that sometimes the contest robot might warn
you about possible busted Q's and actually tell you to fix it if
necessary. It does seem as though the contest sponsor in that case
really has no problem with log massaging and even wants to help you do
it!

Point is, I don't see the big deal about log massaging. Its not
against the rules of any contest as far as I'm aware, and if you don't
have any outside help I don't consider it to be unethical either.

What IS unethical are people who email me after the contest with some
lame excuse (probably a lie too) like their hard drive crashed and
they want the QSO details from me. THAT is definitely against the
rules of most contests and can absolutely be considered cheating.

73
Ryan, N2RJ

Sent from my mobile device

Ryan A. Jairam,