Re: [CQ-Contest] Reasonable expections... was Cheerleaders and the impac

To: Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@citlink.net>, kr2q@optimum.net, cq-contest@contesting.com, Ryan Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Reasonable expections... was Cheerleaders and the impact
From: John Geiger <aa5jg@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 07:16:10 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 7/14/10, Ryan Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Point is, I don't see the big deal about log massaging. Its
> not
> against the rules of any contest as far as I'm aware,

I really don't care one way or the other about this issue, but I was thinking
the same thing that you were. The rules are quiet about this issue.  I just
looked over the IARU contest rules (I was surprised I could find them as
quickly as I could on the crummy new ARRL website) and some parts of the rules
that might be relevant say:

"5.3. A complete exchange must be logged for each valid QSO"

However, it doesn't say that the exchange must be correct for it to be a valid
QSO, which would allow for fixing errors later.

But the general rules for ARRL contests say that "3.2.All callsigns and
exchange information must be sent, received, acknowledged and logged correctly
by each station for a complete QSO."

But is this an ARRL contest?  I thought the IARU contest was sponsered by the
IARU, not the ARRL.  I can see that maybe US stations would be bound by this
general rule, but what about stations outside the US?  If it really is an IARU
contest, any foreign station couldn't be bound by an ARRL rule, and it is
questionable if stations in the US could be bound by it as well.  It also says
that contest specific rules take precedence over these general rules, so there
might be a conflict between the 2 as well.

"10.1. Entries must be postmarked or emailed no later than 30 days after the
end of the contest (1200 UTC August 10, 2010)"

It doesn't say anything about what could or could not be done during those 30
days.  This long of a deadline does kind of suggest that 1200Z on July 11 isn't
the complete end of the contest in terms of reporting.

73s John AA5JG