Re: [CQ-Contest] Dedicated contest audio recorder

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dedicated contest audio recorder
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 00:55:25 -0400
In 1994 I recorded both sides of nearly 24 hours of operation (921 QSOs) in
the CQ WW 160 SSB on a long playing recorder made by Viking that was
advertised in several radio magazines.  They had 12, 24, and 48 hour models.

The recorder used the old special cassettes that could be bought from
Viking.  The Viking user list included the FBI, CIA, and the FCC.  The first
units were delivered to Interpol.

I recall how even with the SSB QRM how loud the signals of VK4YP and HB9CXZ
stood out.  VK4YP gave me 59400 (his power no doubt).

The unit did not gave the RFI that my RCA recorder was prone to (used with
CQ tape wheels before the arrival of my Nel-Tec DVK-100).

I seem to recall someone mentioning a DVK version that had 300 memories that
could be streamed or combined.

73 Dave K4JRB