Re: [CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFE

To: "Bill Coleman" <aa4lr@arrl.net>, "N7mal" <n7mal@citlink.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFE
From: "Radio K0HB" <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 03:46:44 -0000

> As a little pistol, I don't have many moments where I'm running and I see
> a sudden increase in rate. So, I remember them.
>
> After the contest, I often put my call into DXSummit or DXWatch and see if
> I was spotted. Quite often, I see I was not. Why the sudden increase in
> rate then? I think it happens just as many times through luck as it does
> from spots.

Bill,

The only contest in which I could be called a "player" (above 4th tier) is
Sweepstakes CW.  There you can tell when you've been spotted because the
"spike" of Q's will be predominately "U" or "M" precedence.

But I've another kind of "mini-spike" like you describe.  I've noticed it
mostly during Sunday doldrums, but I think it may also occur at other times
but is masked by a higher run rate.  This seems to be a "pack" or "convoy"
of S&P guys moving up/down the band like you might see cars bunched up on a
rural interstate highway.  The "leading" station works you, your signal is
heard by "followers", and they each work you in turn as they pass down/up
the band.

Or maybe not.

73, de Hans, K0HB
--