Re: [CQ-Contest] Now Official: The Netherlands Antilles Will Be Dissolve

To: "[Contest]" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Now Official: The Netherlands Antilles Will Be Dissolved on ...
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 22:21:04 -0400
 > This is false - Bonaire is slightly more than 800 km from Saba and
 > St. Eustatius so it meets the distance requirement to be a separate
 > county from those two islands.

Jeff is absolutely and provably wrong.  Using the following locations
on Saba and Bonaire, the separation distance *DOES NOT* exceed 800 km
as required for separation in an "island group"

Bonaire:  12 13' 16" N     68 11' 51" W   (near Spelonk Light)
Saba:     17 36' 56.50" N  63 15' 06.30 W (the Port of Saba - jetty)

Google Earth shows the distance as 798.57 km and the FCC formula
specified in sections 73.208 and 73.611 gives 799.63 km for the
same coordinates.  Since the DXCC rules require that the separation
be met *with certainty* and there is obviously sufficient doubt
based on reliable sources, Bonaire does not meet the requirement
for separate status under section II part 2.

Now, all of this will be moot if the Department of State puts each
of the BES Islands of the list of "Dependencies and Areas of Special
Sovereignty" as each of the islands will then be "Political Entities"
(point 1 entities) and not "Geographic Separation Entities" (point 2
entities).  However, unless and until Bonaire (or Saba) qualifies
under point 1, Bonaire *does not* qualify by virtue of separation
from the other BES islands.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV