Re: [CQ-Contest] The Meaning of Assisted

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Meaning of Assisted
From: Kelly Taylor <theroadtrip@mts.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 13:16:14 -0500
This isn't directed at any one individual, irrespective of my choosing one
peron's post to do "reply all" to, so Joe, this isn't directed AT you
personally, 'kay?

Whatever happened to the idea of engaging in an enjoyable activity for the
sake of enjoying it?

Granted, I don't make much of a splash right now, but I have been in or
nearly in a few Top 10 boxes. But irrespective of where my score ends up,
I'm not doing it because I need to win to consider it fun. I'm doing it
because it's fun. That doesn't mean I'm not serious (No. 5 in SS Phone LP is
pretty serious) or that I don't try my hardest when I'm on. But it has to be
fun or it's just work, and I have enough 'work' in my life that I don't need
any more.

I am removing myself entirely from the angels-on-a-head-of-a-pin argument,
because that really has nothing to do with my question, which is:

Is the hobby of radiosport fun enough for you that getting on the air and
running rate and doing as well as you can good enough?

Or is it all just a laborious task made worthwhile only by the possibility
of a meaningless (and it is meaningless, really, when you look at it) piece
of paper or plaque 10 months later?

I suspect if someone says they don't get on the air because they don't like
this rule or that rule, if they were being totally honest with themselves,
they'd have to admit that isn't really the reason they're not very active
any more.

73, kelly
ve4xt