Re: [CQ-Contest] Blind Mode for N1MM Bandmap

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Blind Mode for N1MM Bandmap
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 14:56:28 -0400
I think Dave, Tor et al have raised an interesting issue.  There are
really 3 cases here:

1.  local CW Skimmer in blind mode - signals are not decoded, and so
Skimmer doesn't know which signals are runners, and which are S&P.  In
this case, it is simply a very good band-scope, well-integrated with
your transceiver(s).

2.  A local Skimmer in decoding mode, telnetting spots to software (such
as N1MM Logger) that is set up in "blind mode" to discard the callsign
and substitute a marker on a bandmap.  The Skimmer's machine
intelligence would be deciding which were runners, and discarding the
rest.  This would potentially be a big advantage for S&P rate, if you
knew in advance which signals were runners, and could jump from one to
the next with a keystroke or two.  Such operation should be classed as
Assisted.

3.  A remote Skimmer (or the RBN), with software as above.  I'm not sure
how much advantage the "remoteness" would confer, beyond engineering
ease, but I think it would be still be illegal for non-Assisted
stations, for the reason in 2 above.  If you are going to operate
Assisted, why not use Skimmer or the RBN with full capabilities?

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com,