[CQ-Contest] Would You Still Contest? the DEFINITIVE answer

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Would You Still Contest? the DEFINITIVE answer
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 11:22:06 +0000 (GMT)
What describe is almost exactly me....save the low dipoles (which IS me on the
low bands).

For 10 years, I operated at N2AA/K2GL which for those who don't or can't
remember, was
arguably the biggest, but without doubt, the most successful M/M of it's era
(from the dawn
of M/M to 1986).  It was contest heaven and whatever we could dream, we could
do.

After K2GL entered the SK column, I had a choice....try to build my own "giant"
station, knowing
full well that I'd never, ever come even close...or do something else.

As anyone who knows me can appreciate, I chose do to "something
else"...specifically to go QRP.

And I've been QRP since then except for a contest or three in the last 24
years.  I love it.  It is
a CHALLENGE....and that is what I love.  I have had my share of wins as well as
my share of
"also ran" results.  Doesn't matter to me...I love to contest; if I didn't why
would I continue to
do PHONE contests?

I am sure that there are very, very few folks who can answer this question as
well as I can...
from personal experience.  For those who "tried it once" and left...my feeling
is that they
just didn't give it enough time to enjoy the thrill.  For me, every single QSO
I make before the
end of the contest (QRP) is a QSO that I beat some HP guy to. That is really a
good feeling.
And when you beat them in an actual pileup...based on "skill" and not
power...WOW.  That's
when I get the BEST enjoyment....when they wonder if I am really QRP.  :-)

de Doug KR2Q

PS...I recently asked for audio files of your qso with me in the CQWW
test...and I am very happy with
what is coming in so far.  And OH BOY...am I WEAK!  Kudos go to all those who
hear me...
it sure is all due to YOUR ears and not me.  I am impressed with YOUR ability.