[CQ-Contest] Omitting callsigns in exchanges

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Omitting callsigns in exchanges
From: "Joseph Giasi" <jgiasi@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 15:27:17 -0500
Jack Haverty wrote:

>I think the root cause of the "omitting callsigns" controversy is simply

>that the callsign today really is redundant, because the station that

>originated an SS "message" is always the same as the station currently

>transmitting it.  That wasn't the case in traffic nets, where messages

>got relayed many times on their way from source to destination.  In

>fact, such behavior is likely illegal in contests under the "can't use

>repeaters" rule.

Instead of requiring that one's own callsign be part of the exchange, how
about a change in the rules to require that the exchange include the
callsign of the previous station worked (send your own callsign only for QSO
serial #1)? Then, it could not be omitted. Having a callsign of neither of
the current operators in the exchange would add additional "randomness" that
would certainly test an operator's skill. Also, we would not have this
debate again. Just a thought.

Joe - W2QQ