Re: [CQ-Contest] Stew Perry contest this weekend

To: K1TTT <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Stew Perry contest this weekend
From: Jack Haverty <k3fiv@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 18:13:10 -0800
IMHO, the wording of the rules could be better but there's no inherent
conflict.

The first paragraph of the rules says that no one is permitted to use
Internet or radio systems
(other than the contest exchanges on the contest band itself) to
communicate with other humans or their computers in any way which might
affect your score.

Par 2 says that you may use a distributed station configuration, but all
components must be at sites within a 100km circle.  The remote functions
among the sites may be carried out by any means, as long as the
communications occurs only between components of your station.  Only one
transmitter site can be used.

Par 3 says that your station, in that 100km circle, may incorporate one
or more automated listening devices, of types such as are used in a
reverse beacon network, to help in finding stations, multipliers, etc.
However, if your station includes such components, you are categorized
as multi-op.

In other words, use only amateur radio communications mechanisms for the
contest, except that other communications systems are permitted between
components of your own station, within a 100km circle.  You may use
automated listening and decoding components as part of your own station
configuration, as a multi-op entrant only.

These rules still permit a lot of flexibility.  E.G., a team of ops
within a 100km circle could pool equipment, with one transmitter site
and multiple receiving sites, skimmers, and multiple ops at their home
sites each with different roles or schedules for their on-duty time.
Within that single multi-site, multi-op "station" there could exist a
private spotting network fed by both computer (skimmer) and human
listeners, using their skills and tools to get the most out of the
single transmitter site.

Or, you might just be a guy with a radio and an antenna.

I like the idea of using only amateur radio to communicate during a
contest.

73,
/Jack de K3FIV