Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer and NAQP

To: CQcontest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer and NAQP
From: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 06:13:54 -0800 (PST)
Tree nail this one....as well as many others.

NAQP should be a "fun" contest.  However you define "fun."  Technology is
great,
but shouldn't there be contests that test the human skill and not "program"
skills?  That is why I contest...to test and perfect my human skills.  There a
darn few people in the world that can do what a skilled CW operator does.  Yes,
it may be old, but it is way cool. And, then...why not allow a SSB Skimmer.
Oh,
it has not been developed!  Ha!  It makes the NAQP so much bulls**t and goes
against the whole idea of what the NAQP was all about...a replacement for the
CD
Party...PARTY!

Technology advances are needed...but sometimes they are not wanted.  Just
because we have the Hydrogen Bomb, does that mean we use it?  I know that is
ridiculous and over stated, but we need to get off the technology band wagon
sometimes.

I cannot keep up with the amount of dollars being spent and the size of my city
lot compared to mega-stations.   This might be good for the MasterBlasters, but
those of us who use a modest installation of wires and beams at 30 to 60 foot
on
a common city lot with shallow pockets discourages us from getting into the
event.  Come on! It seems that all the pistols are good for is giving the
MasterBlasters the Q and the Mult.

Lets not allow contesting to degenerate into something that just isn't fun to
do. I want to get beat by a superior CW operator (and you know who you are)
rather by some free little program that gives an edge that is really not
needed.  Learn the code.  It is fun!

Remember the days...paper logs, dupe sheets, no telnet or spotter networks, no
DX Cluster.  You just had to find the stations and the mults.  I do not want to
go back...no way....but where do we draw the line?

My two cents....

Lee - K0WA

 In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you
don't
have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find
any
Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common
Sense divine?

Common Sense is the image of the Creator expressing revealed truth in my mind.
-  John W. (Kansas)