Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer and NAQP

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer and NAQP
From: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 10:37:07 -0600
On 12/24/2010 8:13 AM, Lee Buller wrote:
> Tree nail this one....as well as many others.
Agreed!
[snip]
> Lets not allow contesting to degenerate into something that just isn't fun to
> do. I want to get beat by a superior CW operator (and you know who you are)
> rather by some free little program that gives an edge that is really not
> needed.  Learn the code.  It is fun!
>

> Remember the days...paper logs, dupe sheets, no telnet or spotter networks, no
> DX Cluster.  You just had to find the stations and the mults.  I do not want
> go back...no way....but where do we draw the line?
As a contester that has dragged his feet fighting new stuff along the
way, just two years ago I started to use a computer to log stations.
And WOW  what a difference!!! Yes it made it much easier and faster.
but again is it better?

I also remember the 70's where you had to hunt for the stations to
work.  packet and it's clusters did not exist yet. every qso you made
was made by you finding him or he finding you,  no outside help at all
in any way.

Like how many of these new breed of contesters could do what we did in
the 70's and 80's  make contacts by keying everything with your paddles
while you still held your pencil in the keying hand. while also write
down in the tiny lines of the log sheet the contact, as well as find the
location to enter the call onto the dupe sheet and also check if it's a
dupe or not,  then take a drink of coffee or eat something all while
making more contacts.

I wonder how many here still could operate a contest like this?   know i
could,  but i also know the best I ever did running that way was about
1200 Q's in a 24 hr contest. Now in a major contest 1200 Q's doesn't get
you even noticed anymore.

Joe WB9SBD