Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Skimmer

To: Dale Putnam <daleputnam@hotmail.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Skimmer
From: Owner1 <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 10:34:21 -0600
As much as I celebrate the achievement of VE3NEA and his Skimmer for the
assisted classes, I too am at a loss to understand why this is considered an
acceptable rule for unassisted.

How is skimmer different from a pair of goggles for Roger Federer that
calculate the trajectory of an incoming tennis ball and show him exactly
where to swing? Or a doppler radar system for Americas Cup sailors that
shows them exactly how to trim their jib?

As much as amateur radio was founded on the principle of advancing
technology, there should always remain a category where operating skill is
the chief determinant.

You can argue that advanced technology will help attract people to
contesting, and that may be true, but if these are new people, are they
going to care about the distinction between unassisted and assisted? Are
they not just going to enter the category that attracts them?

And any business knows that in the chase for those elusive two birds in the
bush, you don't drop the one in your hand.

The argument that advocating the assisted class for Skimmer means you are
advocating that anyone using more than a galena crystal and spark gap should
also be assisted in specious: Skimmer is a paradigm shift. Computers merely
help with the administrative details. They don't find the Qs and decode them
for you.

73, kelly
ve4xt