Re: [CQ-Contest] Online Contesting-Dr DX

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Online Contesting-Dr DX
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 20:47:54 -0700

I believe his point was that the objectives are all still the same.
Even in the gaming world, games that merely change the scenery or method
of killing get old pretty fast, and usually get ripped in the reviews.
We get all enthused about contests like the Stew Perry that are
innovative enough to change the scoring system to something different
like distance for points and grid squares for multipliers, but even then
the basic objectives and strategies are very focused and pretty much the
same as they've been for decades.  The tactics may have changed as
technology evolved (and as the solar flux changes from year to year),
but that's pretty much it.

I'll jump back to my basketball analogy.  At best, radiosport is like
playing horse ... you get the chance to do some creative things but
you're basically competing against yourself until the final score is
compared.  Online gaming is more like playing one-on-one, or
three-on-three, where you're competing directly against other players in
a dynamic environment that changes as a function of what the other
players do.  Big difference.

73,
Dave   AB7E