Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Question

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Question
From: John Bastin <bastinj@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 18:58:55 -0500
On Feb 17, 2011, at 05:58:08, Maarten van Rossum wrote:

> - Multi-op, Single transmitter High Power: Only one transmitter allowed so
> you can not use a second radio to work Multipliers like in some of the other
> contests. The rules don't specify the amount of band changes so you can
> change bands as much and as often you like.

That's one interpretation. What the rules actually say is:

(From the ARRL General Rules for Contests Under 30MHz)

   2.3.1.Multioperator, Single Transmitter: Stations are allowed only one
transmitted signal at any given time.

      2.3.1.1.In those contests that do not have Single Operator Assisted
class, this category includes those single operators that use any form of
spotting assistance such as from nets or packet.

      2.3.1.2.Includes those that receive assistance with logging or relief
operators, etc.

      2.3.1.3.Limited to 6 band changes (maximum) in any clock hour.

      2.3.1.3.1.The clock hour is from zero through 59 minutes.

      2.3.1.3.2.Band changes are defined so that, for example, a change from 20
meters to 40 meters and then back to 20 meters constitutes two band changes.

      2.3.1.4.Violation of the 6-band change rule or improper logging will
result in an entry reclassification to the Multi-operator Multitransmitter
class.

> - Multi-op, Single transmitter Low Power: Same as above but the power is
> limited to 150 Watt.

Ditto

My opinion: it seems the ARRL does everything they can to make the rules as
obtuse and hard to interpret as possible, and spreading the contest rules
across three different documents only increases the confusion.

Here's what I determine from the rules: I can host a Multi-Op Single
Transmitter entry where we can run as many transmitters as I can fit in the
room, as long as there is only one at a time transmitting.

While doing that, though, I've got to pay close attention to the
6-band-changes-per-clock-hour limitation, to avoid being re-categorized as
Multi-Multi.

That's my interpretation. As always, YMMV.

73,

John K8AJS
bastinj@gmail.com