Re: [CQ-Contest] How contests gain and preserve popularity?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How contests gain and preserve popularity?
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 02:27:20 +0000
R3/SM6LRR said:

> It seems to me that RDXC organizers have partly closed their eyes and not
> communicated well enough with different types of participants. The people
> who organize the contest belong to the elite of contesters in the world.
> They win WRTC, they place themselves in leading positions in major
> international contests. They are truly competitive people, but they have
> according to my opinion, started to loose some of the important
> contact with
> the ordinary "customers" - the casual participants of the contest!
>
> In their strive to make the contest the most fair contest in the
> world, they
> have developed a bit of "tunnel-vision" syndrome , that mainly focuses on
> the topscorers. They somewhat seem to have forgotten that the
> foundation of
> a successful contest is the huge amount of ordinary participants that
> create
> the pileups for the big guns. If RDXC with their decisions make it
> more and
> more difficult, the vast majority of common operators might sooner or
> later
> come to the conclusion that "this contest is not for me anymore".
>
> Another mistake that RDXC organizers have made according to my opinion, is
> to close themselves inside a cocoon. They receive questions via the
> reflectors or emails (and even in person), but they refuse to communicte
> with the "customers". If people have doubts of how to interpret the rules,
> then it is not enough to just write FAQ answers on the homepage.

Read that again, but don't say "RDXC" when you come across it.  Sound
familiar?

I would love to compare notes with SM6LRR over a few beers, about what
it is like living in a civil society where some are different than others.

I imagine it will be a stretch to get our heads around the rules only
applying to the elite - I believe we both live in places where it is
that the rules DO NOT apply to them...

There are also other parallels between radiosporting & other aspects to
where we live that I suspect we might see parallels to places recently
in the news where the masses are fed up with the current state-of-play -
which ironically is why today the places we both live in are the way
they currently are.

73, ex-VR2BG/p.