Re: [CQ-Contest] RES: RES: Club/Group competition 275 km radius in CQCon

To: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RES: RES: Club/Group competition 275 km radius in CQContest (petition for change).
From: "C. 'Fred' Johnson" <fredwt2p@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 20:09:57 -0400
With all due respect I have been paying attention. I'm also keenly aware
of the recent situation(s) that have occurred among the contesting
community with respect to cheating.

While I agree that there needs to be things done to address those
particular instances, I have watched (again, silently) as the remedies
for these potential violations of contests rules have produced some, to
put it lightly, fairly draconian measures. I've also seen some pretty
practical solutions that would be designed to 1) deter the
"unacceptable" behavior in a contest 2) allow participants to
participate in a contest without having to submit to near Orwellian
measures to just submit a score.

I stopped contesting a long time ago primarily because I no longer had
the space and with the underlying tone of "guilty until proven
innocent", it was not worth the effort.

Perhaps the best solution that I've seen is that "if we don't like that
particular contest sponsor's rules, then don't participate in the
contest". It won't do me much good to write a novel on CQ-Contest
detailing why I'm not on the air, I'll just do something else. Sadly,
that's what it's become.

Best 73's
Fred "Not Guilty Until Proven Innocent", WT2P