[CQ-Contest] Unauthorized Posts on DX Cluster are NOT KY1V

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Unauthorized Posts on DX Cluster are NOT KY1V
From: "David Kopacz" <david.kopacz@aspwebhosting.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 09:59:11 -0500
I have received a number of recent emails regarding comments made via
the DX Cluster using my call sign KY1V.

I would like to "clear the air" regarding these posts on the cluster.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT MINE. I DID NOT MAKE THEM.

I DO NOT post comments on the DX Cluster about people. In fact, I have
rarely posted to the DX Cluster. I don't even post during contests. I
almost exclusively use the cluster to receive spots while contesting.

I have been inactive since my last visit to 6Y1V in late 2009 for the
CQWW CW contest. I have not turned on a radio or connected to a cluster
since that time. It's a shame too, as I have been in Galapagos, Hong
Kong, Macau, and a few other sweet spots for radio.

In my opinion, this issue with people posting to the cluster using my
call sign is a direct result of poor implementation of DX clusters. The
current implementation and operation of DX Clusters is unsecure and is
irresponsible to the amateur community.

It is quite evident that an "open" system that does not require
registration and logins is completely ineffective at preventing abuse.

Until such time as the Amateur Radio community decides that they will no
longer tolerate such abuse and refuse to participate in using an
unsecured system that allows such blatant abuses to continue, the
problem will likely continue endlessly.

It doesn't have to be this way. Isn't it time for a change?

I hope to get back into radio soon, until then, happy DX'ing and
contesting.

73,

David ~ KY1V