Re: [CQ-Contest] NA sprint SSB - Lets get on the air gang

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NA sprint SSB - Lets get on the air gang
From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@frontier.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 09:38:04 -0700
Hi George

I think that is because some still operate above 3800.

Why not move the SSB sprint down between 3600-3700?  There is nothing down
there except dead air.  I did notice last night there were a lot more op's
below 3800, but some still up to 3850.

Same way on 40.  We could move way down the band.  73
Tom W7WHY

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 08:15:52AM -0700, Chris Tate - N6WM wrote:

> setting your paddles aside for 4 hours, and getting on the air for
> NCJ NA SSB sprint this weekend.  This contest is showing an
> unfortunate trend of rapid decline in participation, and there is a
> genuine concern from many in the community that this contest will
> not be able to continue if the pattern stays consistent.  I am
> confident that you my friends and colleagues in the contest
> community do not want that to happen, and all it will take is 4
> hours of your time to re-energize it.

As a somewhat active Phone contest operator, I have felt the SSB
sprint should have been killed off long ago.  Of all the contests on
the calendar I do not think there is another one that is more
disruptive to activity on the bands.  I do not think it makes
contesters look very good.

I used to do this contest and I have put together many winning phone
sprint teams.  But during a phone sprint many years ago with 30
minutes to go in the contest, while on a top 5 score pace, I noticed
how our activity was affecting the normal users of 80 meters and I
stopped operating the contest.  I think I have made a hand full of
contacts since.

In my opinion the phone sprint does nothing to improve our image.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR