Re: [CQ-Contest] Determining ASSISTED vs NON-ASSISTED -- was: =>RE:Cheat

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Determining ASSISTED vs NON-ASSISTED -- was: =>RE:Cheating and bad journalism
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 09:52:21 -0400
Clearly there remains a misunderstanding about what the "Assisted" class
means within the context of Amateur Radio Contesting.

"Assistance" has always indicated that the Operator(s) has received
information about band and operating conditions from other individuals
operating on the band, both those participating and not participating in the
contest.

Specifically, the original definitions of the Assisted classes...

...and I really wish a better name had been chosen, one that avoided this
issue, as a lot of noise has been generated over the years based on what the
WORD Assisted meant, not the CLASSIFICATION that it stood for, but I
digress...

...referred specifically to receiving spotting information via the Packet
cluster network.

The issue was not the level or manner of technology used to augment the
station operation... it was a SPECIFIC means of information that was being
received.

A panadapter may well be a technological boost for the operator(s) using
one... but it does NOT involve information being actively sent to it by
others.  Specifically:  It is a passive device, merely receiving over the
air what it hears, it does not rely on the other operators to post
information about where other stations are.

By the same token, other technological changes, such as computerized
logging, may make the operator more efficient... but do not make the
operator "assisted."

Is a Skimmer or similar device(s) enough of a technological change that it
falls in the same category as receiving spots via the Packet cluster?
Clearly there are multiple thoughts on this as well.  IMHO, if you are
receiving Skimmer (type) spots/information from off-site devices, they are.
However, if you are using it on-site, effectively as a second or third
receiver... it is not.

Clearly, there are enough active contesters in both the "no technology" and
"pro technology" camps that an accommodation needs to be made.  Which is why
the "Assisted" classification came along, obviously... yet we still have the
same controversy ad infinitum ad nauseum, and in large part because people
still don't UNDERSTAND what the "Assisted" Class means.

I'm all for redefining the class to make it CLEAR what the difference
between SO and SO/A (etc.) is or ought to be.  And in doing so, maybe we can
pick a different name for the class... Unlimited comes to mind.

73