Re: [CQ-Contest] Multiple direction antennas on one radio...why?

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Multiple direction antennas on one radio...why?
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 08:26:29 -0500
> does anyone know what stations doing this really do?

N5OT does this.  I have a tee in the coax and connect two antennas to it.

> Why would someone do that?

To transmit and receive in two directions at the same time.

> Are these systems planned?

This is done intentionally, if that's what you mean.

I know my answers are teasing you, Tom, but really, I'm an operator, not a
radio scientist, and this is the best way I've found to keep guys off my
frequency while at the same time hearing people who are calling me from more
than one place, both of which are common requirements of a contest station.
If it means I'm 32 over 9 instead of 35 over 9, that's not really a big
enough issue to spend time, money or complexity on.

Even 30 over 9 will get by in a pinch.

The more important question is does this make my score go "up" or "down"?
The answer is, anecdotally, "up."

In my dreams I'd love to have more flexibility (i.e. select exactly which
two antennas, and possibly transmit on two but switch to only one on receive
to pull out an occasional weak guyT) but I have never gotten around to
investing the time or money it would take. Operating at W8JI was like a
dream come true.

73, Mark, N5OT