[CQ-Contest] W7DRA 160QRP CQWW debriefing

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] W7DRA 160QRP CQWW debriefing
From: w7dra@juno.com
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 21:29:59 -0800

After 13 hours and 25 minutes of operating, I closed down the station
with 12 contacts, 4 zones and 3  entities. Ten of the contacts came in
the first night (first seven hours), when most of the DX stations were
running, giving me the time necessary to achieve valid contacts.

During the first evening as I scanned across the band looking for
contacts I found several possible stations to work doing S&P. I would
wait until the desired station had worked the S&P contact and them would
"tail-end". This did achieve two valid contacts. I was able to make a
total of 10 contacts for the first night, a good effort.

I heard VE3ZI running and calling him over the course of 4 hours;  I was
able to work him as my only VE3

Accolades to NQ4I for taking the time to give me a zone 5 QSO!

In the second night of operation very few stations were running, making
it more difficult for a QRP station to make contacts. I heard several KH6
stations S&P;  I was tal-ending but no luck. I can't remember when I was
not able to work a running KH6 station in a DX contest on 160m with 5
watts (one of the joys of living an the edge of a west facing cliff over
Puget Sound)

XE2S was running, but not for the hours that it would take to make a
contact. Calling someone like KV4FZ or PJ2T is a lesson in futility.

My station has a contact range of about 1200 miles depending upon
propagation, with an input power to the 6V6 final of 210 volts at 35 Ma
and a measured output power using an Eico 750 of 3.8 watts to a "120 up
130 foot out" halfwave inverted L and 5/16 wave counterpoise.

Mike W7DRA