Re: [CQ-Contest] The Calling Disease... (split operation)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Calling Disease... (split operation)
From: w9xt@unifiedmicro.com
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:54:22 -0500
I probably worked 8-10 stations working split this weekend. Usually it is
maybe a single station in a contest weekend.

Working split is fine for DXpeditions as long as the listening range is
reasonable. I am concerned if it becomes commonplace in contests.

A pile up on CW might be 500 Hz wide or so. Going split can use a couple
of hundred Hz for the DX station plus maybe 1 KHz or more for the callers
and some space between them. Frequencies are tight on some bands and I
don't want to encourage stations taking more than one slot.

Should we discourage split operation in contests except when frequency
allocations don't line up? I think we should.

73
Gary, W9XT
www.w9xt.com