Re: [CQ-Contest] The Calling Disease... (split operation)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Calling Disease... (split operation)
From: Jack/W6NF <vhfplus@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:45:58 -0800
On 11/28/2011 10:41 AM, Collins, Graham wrote:
> This was the first time I encountered split operation in a contest. In fact I
> stumbled across at least three different split operations. I didn't manage to
> get my pip squeak signal heard in any of the ensuing mass of signals.
>
> To be fair, the three operations I heard where high up from the bottom edge
> of the band well away from the usual masses.
>
> However, many callers did not hear the ops tell the callers "up 1" (or
> whatever) and persisted in calling on the stations frequency at times
> covering up who was working split and where to call. It also seemed that the
> stations working split didn't specify "up 1" often enough, certainly not
> every time they id'ed. I got caught with one of the split operations; it took
> over 5 minutes of listening before I heard the station send "up 1" and
> another couple of minutes finally hear their call through the many calling
> stations.
>
> All in all these split ops seemed to cause an interesting mess and I am sure
> a lot of frustrated callers.
>
> Just imagine the mess if there where half a dozen BIG and loud contest
> stations working split "up 2" - it would cover 20+ Khz of band making it
> almost useless for anyone else.
>
> If there was call for votes or a poll I think I would tend to discourage
> split operations in a contest.
>
> Cheers, Graham ve3gtc

One station just simply sent "up" with no direction as to how far. I
figured it out by finding the din of signals, almost a kHz wide.

I was guilty of not hearing the up...mostly because of very strong
stations send calls, instantly, after the DX call was sent. I finally
heard one of the cops send "up" the I listened more closely to the DX
station. Oops...

W6SX has committed to not working any station that runs split in a
contest. If enough of us do that it will, hopefully, kill the practice.

--
Jack, W6NF
Silver Springs, NV