[CQ-Contest] Reverse Beacon Network - After-Action Report

To: reflector cq-contest <CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Reverse Beacon Network - After-Action Report
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 07:29:09 -0500
Wow!  What a weekend - records falling in bunches, 5 bands open for
contesting at once.  And I'm happy to report that the RBN was mostly up
to the challenge.

First, the big numbers.  The RBN handled 1.578 million spots on
Saturday, and 1.691 million on Sunday, or an average for the 48 hours of
*18.9 spots/second.  This is roughly double last year's record average
(also in CQWW CW)*, and is a measure both of how much the bands have
improved and how many more people are contributing to the RBN.  Thank
you all!

In case anyone wondered, we did have some trouble with the DX Spider
Telnet server (telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000) on Sunday morning,
as the load built to even a higher level than on Saturday.  Felipe PY1NB
did some quick first-aid and got it running again within about a
half-hour.  Meanwhile, the AR Cluster V6 server
(arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000) continued to deliver spots at
full bore, though to a smaller audience than our main and
long-established server.

There are also some signs that the load that CW Skimmer puts on Reverse
Beacon participants' computers may be starting to cause problems.  A
number of Skimmer ops reported trouble with less than 100% decoding of
signals, due to excessive CPU loading from too many decoders running at
once.  At least the failure mode appeared to be graceful - my node, for
example, stayed up unattended all weekend despite being on an anemic
dual-core Pentium machine.

One surprise, at least to me, was the strong user demand for the main
Reverse Beacon web page, which peaked at 384 simultaneous users, also on
Sunday.  Log data suggest that most of these users were using the site
to track spots of specific stations (maybe their own?), which puts an
additional load on the database server.  However, the new hardware
handled it very well, and that gives us a good level of confidence for
the rest of the contest season.

Future plans?  Well, we intend to do some work on streamlining DXSpider
so that it will handle the heavy throughput better.  There's no need for
a lot of the features that put a drag on performance in the RBN server
role - for example, the server doesn't accept DX spots from users, or
Announce messages or WWV messages. Meanwhile, we're on the lookout for
good new features to add to the mix.  Tell us what *you'd* like!

--
73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at