Re: [CQ-Contest] Reverse Beacon Network - After-Action Report

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Reverse Beacon Network - After-Action Report
From: Barry N1EU <n1eu.barry@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 06:27:45 -0500
Appreciate the comments and your hard work Pete, but I just don't get it.

I posted one screenshot showing some obviously bad flaws in the
system, and it's hard to accept that things can't be made better than
that.  There's no reason it has to be democratic - if you send bad
spots (don't follow the rules), you should get cut off from sending
spots to the RBN system.

It might be enlightening to do some quality control analysis - is
there a super computer somewhere that could run all the spots dumped
into the system during the contest against the callsign database and
look at the list of spots that don't validate, i.e., what percentage
are bogus, how the skimmer nodes each performed, etc?

Taking the time during a contest to add bad spots to a logging program
list is out of the question.  It already takes too much time to just
delete them individually and having a long bad list isn't going to
help cpu loading either.

Perhaps the solution is to somehow recognize the skimmers that ARE
doing the validation and not sending the bad spots and somehow filter
out the spots coming from the other skimmers.  But I don't know of a
way to do this, other than simply telnet into a single known good
skimmer if that's possible.

73, Barry N1EU