Re: [CQ-Contest] sunspots

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] sunspots
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 13:01:27 -0800
Rick,

I think the monthly smoothed number for January was 58 (see
http://www.ips.gov.au/Solar/1/5). I am not sure that the number you
reported "24" (where did you get this - NW7US's site?) is a monthly
smoothed number (unless its a continuous running average over the last
30 days). The following graph shows the daily numbers superimposed over
the monthly SSNs. As you can see the daily numbers have huge
fluctuations (10:1 in some cases) so perhaps all is not lost:

http://sidc.oma.be/html/wolfjmms.html

73, Mike W4EF...............