[CQ-Contest] Computer for Contesting

To: "CQ Contest CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Computer for Contesting
From: Timothy.Urban@wc.ey.com
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 09:28:31 -0500
Rookie digital contester looking for a computer recommendation.

After a modest amount of struggling have gotten my K3 up and running on a 5
year old PC running winXP to perform basic RTTY and basic PSK31. Really
enjoy the modes and want to compete in RTTY contests.

Am stopped cold in attempts to integrate rig/ PC / logging. Fldigi
inexplicably crashes every 5 minutes running Hamlib. The other PSK app
claims I'm missing a "mixer driver" that the computer swears is there.
MMTTY can't find com1 to poll vfo frequency even tho all the other apps
can. Tigertronix box is neat but doesn't solve my problems.

Should mention that I have a lot going on in my life and hate
troubleshooting windows boxes.

So, am thinking maybe part of the problem is my old computer w/ lots of
other software already installed  Maybe a new laptop, dedicated to
contesting, w windows 7, might minimize the odds of flukey extension
conflicts etc.

Is there a brand/model of laptop computer that has more of the right
ports/jacks/drivers/ processing speed etc?

Thx in advance for any recommendations

Tim
N5IIT
Urbanti@gmail.com

No messages beneath this line

Any U.S. tax advice contained in the body of this e-mail was not intended or
written to be used, and cannot be used, by the recipient for the purpose of
avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the Internal Revenue Code or
applicable state or local tax law provisions.
The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential
and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

Notice required by law:  This e-mail may constitute an advertisement or
solicitation under U.S. law, if its primary purpose is to advertise or promote
a commercial product or service.   You may choose not to receive advertising
and promotional messages from Ernst & Young LLP (except for Ernst & Young
Online and the ey.com website, which track e-mail preferences through a
separate process) at this e-mail address by forwarding this message to
no-more-mail@ey.com.  If you do so, the sender of this message will be notified
promptly. Our principal postal address is 5 Times Square, New York, NY 10036.
Thank you.  Ernst & Young LLP