[CQ-Contest] IOTA Contest Rules for 2012

To: iota-contest@yahoo.com, CQ-Contest MailList <cq-contest@contesting.com>, UK Contest <uk-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] IOTA Contest Rules for 2012
From: Don Field <don.field@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 12:35:12 +0000
The revised rules for the 2012 IOTA Contest now appear on the RSGB Contest
Committee website at:  http://www.rsgbcc.org/hf/rules/2012/riota.shtml

There have a few rule changes this year, following last year's invitation
for comments and feedback (it is some 10 years since any significant rule
changes were made).  My apologies that these changes haven't been announced
earlier but, as with the 2011 results, everything is running late this time
for a number of reasons, including the aftermath of the T32C trip!

*Here are the main changes for 2012:*
The World Multi-Operator category has been discontinued.
Island Multi-Operator stations must observe a "6 band mode/band changes per
hour" rule.
Island Multi-Operator stations must identify Run and Multiplier stations in
their log.
The score for non-island to non-island QSOs is reduced from 3 points to 2
points.
Low Power island expedition stations can now choose any antenna that they
want.

Two of these changes have been made to restore the original intention of
the contest, which is about working islands. To some extent this has been
lost, with some non-island entrants spending much of their time working
other non-island stations. The QSY rule for island multi-ops is one we have
resisted for some time, but it is clear that some entrants have been taking
advantage of the lack of such a rule, so we have had to follow CQWW and
others in introducing one, and insist that run and mult stations are
clearly marked in the log. As for the last rule change, this is at the
repeated request of many Low Power expedition operators, though we do
understand that it might prove a challenge for those using small aircraft
or boats to reach an island.

We look forward to seeing many of you in this year's contest.

Don G3XTT
IOTA Contest Manager