Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Control in Contests

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Control in Contests
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 10:04:31 -0600
I agree with Pete 100 percent.

Remote radio is becoming the next big advancement and that is a good
thing.  It allows people who are handicapped, live in covenant
controlled communities, or have other issues that do not allow them to
operate a ham station to do so remotely and very legally.  If it gets
more people on the air and enjoying our hobby I think it is great and
even better to have more people involved in a contest.

I think so people need to step back and remember this is a hobby.  We
get paper awards and 100 dollar plaques for our troubles and investments
in our stations.

I would love to be able to rent a Caribbean station for a contest
weekend and be able to operate it from my house in Colorado.  Sure I
would miss out on meeting local hams and getting to visit a nice warm
island during the winter, which are things I very much enjoy but can
only do so often.  I would also save a ton of $$$, time and the hassle
of dragging a bunch of gear on an airplane, having to strip for TSA etc....

Some people are resistant to change and become angry, others embrace it
and continue to be happy.  Nobody is requiring anyone to use these
modern day advances like RBN, Skimmer, Remote control, packet, JST,
PSK31, SSB, AMTOR, SSTV.  Operate the way you want, with the modes you
like and be active.

If a remote station is built well you would never ever know they were
remote.  So explain how this affects you and your fun in a contest?  The
internet is medium in which the person hears the stations calling.
Should we ban long headphone cords or cordless headphones because they
allow an operator to wander the house?  What exactly is the difference?
Nothing.

When people pay for my stuff and pay my taxes then they can tell me how
to operate.   The same person complaining about the internet over and
over is getting old.

Contesting is still on the rise.  submissions are up, participation is
up which are all great things.  I could point to the internet as one of
the main reasons we are seeing more participation not the other way around.

Mike W0MU

W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net