Re: [CQ-Contest] Assisted or not assisted question (yet again)

To: Igor Sokolov <ua9cdc@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Assisted or not assisted question (yet again)
From: Mats Strandberg <sm6lrr@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 22:03:49 +0400
Interesting question Igor!

Appreciate straight-forward approach and transparency.

My opinion is that the use of skimmer as a propagation indicator is in the
"greyzone" between allowed - and not allowed.

You for sure do not get the advantage of receiving calls and frequencies
that you later can Search and Pounce, but the usage of the skimmer gives
you a lot of valuable information that you in normal cases would not know
about the present propagation.

Conditions might exist between your station and the location of a skimmer,
but you would not know until you work at least one station from that region
unless you monitor the skimmer. The skimmer gives you instant confirmation
that the path is open and you may continue until you get a QSO (and
possible a mult). If you called 3 minutes CQ without the skimmer, and did
not get a reply, maybe you would have moved to another band and lost that
opportunity for a QSO.

My 5 cents is that ANY USE of a skimmer, no matter limited to receive only
your call, is a violation of the non-assisted rule - and should be avoided
in the non-assisted category.

73 de RA/SM6LRR, Mats