Re: [CQ-Contest] To cut or not to cut?

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] To cut or not to cut?
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 14:50:59 -0500
An anecdote -

In my first really semi-serious effort as a little pistol in ARRL DX
CW (n 1993) I had been inactive in ham radio for quite a number of
years and honestly hadn't encountered cut numbers other than 5NN. Many
stations were sending "ATT" for the exchange in the ARRL DX. I logged
on paper logs and wrote down just that, as I didn't know what it
meant. That's what the ARRL got on my paper logs.

I also didn't know what some of the prefixes were, as I had a DXCC
countries list that was many years old and it didn't have S5, T9 and
some other prefixes I heard and worked.

Even recently I have been thrown by cut numbers in a serial number
exchange when I get something like "ATET." I have to stop and think
about it, which slows me down.

I thought the generally-accepted convention was never to use cut
numbers in a callsign. Seems people are even doing that these days. If
I hear someone doing that I will probably just pass them by.

73, Zack W9SZ (not WNSZ)
:-}