Re: [CQ-Contest] authentication for log submission

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] authentication for log submission
From: "Christian Schneider" <prickler.schneider@t-online.de>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 20:48:31 +0200
quote: "...the best solution would be to use the LoTW authentication system
for log submissions. That would have the dual advantage of verifying the
call sign in the log and allowing automatic submission of the log to the
LoTW QSL system (something many have asked for.)"

Ok, so you require every potential participant of a contest to send copies
of personal documents like a passport per mail across the world in advance?
That is the (IMHO totally exaggerated) prerequisite for non-US hams for LotW
as far as I am informed correctly. Following the discussion I assume even
that may not be secure enough. Maybe we should go one step further and add
biometric data etc. to make our HOBBY (!) competition more bulletproof. I
wonder whether any contest sponsor can report fraud incidences of the
described kind.

Let me see - we seemingly accept power cheats shrugging shoulders, but
ponder about security measures that come close to mechanisms in the real
world used with bank loans etc. No, I don´t  want to partipate in such a
contesting world but it obviously does not need me and other "normal" guys
other than as cannon fodder.

73, Chris

www.dl8mbs.de