Re: [CQ-Contest] Great job of spotting network

To: "Yuri" <ve3dz@rigexpert.net>, "Andy V. Melanyin" <ua3dpx@mail.ru>, "Steef" <steefpa3s@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Great job of spotting network
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 10:10:51 -0400
Thanks for mentioning this. Every contest should be a learning experience
for every operator.

> As a matter of fact, I now have an SDR recording of this particular
> Contest
> which proves the I personally ID'ed at least once every 4-5 contacts;

The law in the USA is we ID at least once in every communication at the end.
Legally, we are always bound to give our call for our last transmission in
every single QSO. A "communication" is defined in a way that we would call
an exchange or contact.

Although years ago we had to give the other station's call, we do not ever
have to give the other station's callsign now. I don't know foreign rules,
but this is the FCC:

(a) Each amateur station, except a space station or telecommand station,
must transmit its assigned call sign on its transmitting channel *****at the
end of each communication*****, and at least every 10 minutes during a
communication, for the purpose of clearly making the source of the
transmissions from the station known to those receiving the transmissions.
No station may transmit unidentified communications or signals, or transmit
as the station call sign, any call sign not authorized to the station.

I think the learning experience here is problems really come when both sides
are not identified during each QSO, or people rely on packet and do not
actually listen for the ID.

Because they never really identified the station on the other end, the
result is exactly what it should be. The contact does not count. There isn't
any logical reason it should count because it was never a real exchange, and
it really is not the DX station's fault others did not listen unless he
broke his countries own rules.

We just really need to change how we do things a little, and not depend on
others to make our receivers and ears work.

73 Tom