Re: [CQ-Contest] Split operation in CQ WW CW

To: "Martin , LU5DX" <lu5dx@lucg.com.ar>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Split operation in CQ WW CW
From: Tod Olson <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 21:04:50 -0600
Martin:

 I enjoyed your LCF discussion. As one of the creators of the Sprints, I
was pleased that you noted that one of our objectives as we designed the
contest was indeed working. The QSO/QSY rule received a LOT of complaints
when we announced the Sprint rules for the first Sprint contest long, long
ago. At this point it is no longer seems to be an issue.

I personally enjoy the 160 contests for the very reason you mention, the
skill entry level is pretty high. You can't get by with just being a high
speed CW or SSB whiz, you actually need to have a reasonably good station
and understand how to use it effectively. Even if you buy everything "off
the shelf" you can't just throw it together and expect to wipe out the
competition.

Unskillful and thoughtless operating has been a part of Ham Radio since
the very beginning. The Old Man [H.P.Maxim, the original W1AW] created the
rettysnitch and the wouff-hong in response to what he called "Rotten QRM"
see => http://rettysnitch.org in 1917 and things have not improved in some
areas since that time in spite of those fearful weapons.

I guess we will simply have to look for ways to work around the challenges
during the contests and then seek therapeutic relief complaining on the
contest reflectors following the contest.

73, Tod, K0TO