Re: [CQ-Contest] shack table height - optimal for CW contesting?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] shack table height - optimal for CW contesting?
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 18:38:22 -0400
On 20/09/2012 10:29 AM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
Ergonomics question.  Optimal table height?

I’ve always had shack tables made from whatever I had around. But this time I’m building up a table and can pick the height. Of course it depends on what chair you set in, and your body, etc. But I wonder if guys had a particular preference or range.

Jeff,

I did a long study of this before I built my contesting barn desks. The optimum distance turned out to be from the top of the desk surface to the floor.

Seriously, I concluded ~29.5 inches was best to the desk top surface. I also recessed the supports way back so Hams with long legs would not bump the supports. Adjustable chairs work best without unnecessary desk surface thickness. I used 1 and 11/16th inch thick solid core doors.

Tom