Re: [CQ-Contest] shack table height - optimal for CW contesting?

To: jeff@ac0c.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] shack table height - optimal for CW contesting?
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 20:53:56 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Jeff et al,

My desk height is 28.5". It just happened that way, this was a free desk
they were getting rid of at work.

I have installed a slide out keyboard shelf, which rests the keyboard 24"
above the floor. This works out to be almost literally in my lap.

Two things I have discovered that have worked out very well:

1.  Use a chair without arms, or at least a chair wide enough that you  can
drop your arms by your side without using the arm rests. It is much more
relaxing to have your shoulders at rest with your arms dropped by your side,
than to be scrunching up your shoulders with your arms on the arm rests or
on  the desk top. Also, your wrists will not be bending sideways, as would
be the  case with your arms spread out away from your body and your elbows or
forearms  on the chair arms.

2.  Have enough extra cables on your radios that you can slide them to  the
very front edge of desk. With this, there is only an inch or two of forward
 motion required to move between the keyboard and the radio, which in many
cases  can be done just with finger and wrist movement, but not moving your
arms or  shoulders.

At the same time, radios can also be shoved back to a more conventional
position, with your arms resting on the desktop. With a long enough keyboard
cable (or a wireless keyboard) you can also move the keyboard to the
desktop, in  front of the radio(s). Change of position is always a good thing
over
a very  long time.

One note about armless chairs: stay awake!  I've never done it, but if  you
fall asleep leaning sideways, you might be waking up more quickly than you
would like.

73   -   Jim   K8MR