Re: [CQ-Contest] LOTW and Contest Logs (What's LoTW running?)

To: k0rc@citlink.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] LOTW and Contest Logs (What's LoTW running?)
From: "Martin , LU5DX" <lu5dx@lucg.com.ar>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 09:40:09 -0300
Hi Bob.
Do you know who manages the LoTW yahoo group? I've sent a subscription
request and my membership has been pending for approval for the past ten
days or so.
Also I'd like to know if there is a landscape of the application.
Right now there seem to be almost 9 million records representing little
over 3.6 GB of data and LoTW needs almost ten days (!!!!) to process that
amount of information, when it should not take more than just a few hours.
Someone told each time a log is uploaded, statistics for it are calculated
on the fly, in the same DB. So I guess there is not a separate reporting
server or a data mart.
Despite the fact that new hardware is being procured, what needs to be
seriously revised is the app architecture. Otherwise, sooner or later, LoTW
will be facing exactly the same issues, or the ARRL will be involved in a
race for more and more hardware to keep up with the growth of the app,
which is nonsense.

Vy 73.

Martin, LU5DX