Re: [CQ-Contest] LOTW and Contest Logs (What's LoTW running?)

To: "Martin , LU5DX" <lu5dx@lucg.com.ar>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] LOTW and Contest Logs (What's LoTW running?)
From: Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 16:35:16 -0600
Here's the link to the splash page:

     Discussion Group for ARRL Logbook of the World (LoTW)

LoTW was designed as an alternative to paper QSLs for award credit. It offers a lower cost and a more efficient way of confirming the contacts in your log.

This discussion group provides a forum for LoTW users to get technical help and as a collection point for tools and information.

       If you wish to join please include your callsign in the
       subscription request.

This is my way of protecting the membership of the group from spam.

*N0KLV*

The group description is signed by *NØKLV*, so I "assume" he is the gatekeeper. His email listed on QRZ dot COM is:

n0klv@n0klv.org

His email address suggests he has a website but *n0klv.org* does not "browse".

Looking him up in "Who is" says he has a couple other domains.

His email is listed as:

*kevin@gibsonhome.org*

Some of his domains are registered with Godaddy and he is the admin:
Admin Name:Kevin Gibson
Admin Organization:N0KLV
Admin Street1:2152 Beacon Drive SW
Admin Street2:
Admin Street3:
Admin City:Rochester
Admin State/Province:MN
Admin Postal Code:55902
Admin Country:US
Admin Phone:+1.5072813116

This address matches his QRZ dot COM listing.

You should be able to chase him down with this information. I suspect the ARRL-LoTW administrative emails generated by the group might be going into a spam trap. (He is not seeing the subscription requests.) Or he's on vacation? I manage some Yahoo!Groups and have run into that problem and needed to take proactive action to prevent it.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

Also I'd like to know if there is a landscape of the application.
Right now there seem to be almost 9 million records representing little over 3.6 GB of data and LoTW needs almost ten days (!!!!) to process that amount of information, when it should not take more than just a few hours. Someone told each time a log is uploaded, statistics for it are calculated on the fly, in the same DB. So I guess there is not a separate reporting server or a data mart. Despite the fact that new hardware is being procured, what needs to be seriously revised is the app architecture. Otherwise, sooner or later, LoTW will be facing exactly the same issues, or the ARRL will be involved in a race for more and more hardware to keep up with the growth of the app, which is nonsense.

Vy 73.

Martin, LU5DX