[CQ-Contest] gving the little guys a break

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] gving the little guys a break
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 12:45:10 -0500 (EST)
Giving the little guys the ability to find a freq to run in NAQP is  nice.
However, this IS a contest and as such, just like in NASCAR, people  trade
paint.  Just like when you run QRP in a major contest, you can't  expect to
have a clear freq in prime territory like 14030 in NAQP.

You want to have a run frequency with little hassle and you have small
antennas or you are a newbie, slide up to around 14065.  You want prime  real
estate, you gotta earn it.  Before I got big antennas and operating
experience I was relegated to the "slums" for years.  It makes you tougher  and
better op

Granted, every contest is a training activity, but they are contests.   For
guys who want to get the thrill of a run there are several ways to do  it.
Find a casual multi op station in any of the major contests and do  it.
Get on in non-contests like Field Day or a 10-10 contest.   Or do it the old
fashioned way if have have the space and/or bucks, put some  aluminum in the
air.

For the HF bands, NAQP is probably the third most active domestic contest
and as such people get jostled around quite a bit.

I'll be trading paint with you guys this Saturday.

Bill K4XS/KH7XS

In a message dated 1/15/2013 4:23:52 P.M. Coordinated Universal Time,