Re: [CQ-Contest] Answer to accept from "cheaters" and contest sponsors

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Answer to accept from "cheaters" and contest sponsors
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 19:59:21 -0600
I don't understand the motivation of cheaters, either. I have been a
"little pistol" in many many contests, with no hope of winning anything.
I've entered purely for enjoyment and to contribute a little score to my
contesting club. I've been involved in a few large multi operations where
we DID win something. I have also operated in many VHF+ contests as a
Single-Op (QRP) Portable from remote locations. In all of the above,
neither I nor anyone else involved in the multi efforts cheated.

At one time I was hopeful of maybe taking the #1 US spot in a VHF
contest in the QRP Portable class. Now I don't think that's ever likely to
happen. I've come close - I've been # 4 in the nation before. I guess
that's about the best I'm going to do. This part of the country just
doesn't have enough activity these days for me to run up a large score in a
VHF contest compared to other areas. But I haven't cheated. That gives me a
good feeling. And it's fun, so I'll keep doing it.

73, Zack W9SZ