[CQ-Contest] Phone Contests are MUCH Harder

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Phone Contests are MUCH Harder
From: "Ken Widelitz" <widelitz@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 12:26:53 -0800
Let me count the ways:

1. Bands are MUCH more crowded.
2. There is MUCH more QRM.
3. You have to use more effort exercising muscles in speaking. (yes, the
computer DVR can send CQs, but at any real rate you have to speak.
4. Nets protecting "their" frequency - "You are interfering with the net
that is operating up 3 Khz."
5. Less experienced ops - "Hello K6LA, thanks for giving me your number 203
from Los Angeles. Please copy my number ..." But you still love those guys
Sunday afternoon.
6. SSTVer's protecting "their" not currently in use frequencies.
7. Harder to eat and drink when speaking than when the computer is sending
CW and all you need to do is type.
8. Pig farmers.
9. Funky Funetics.
10. Foreign accents.
11. Tuner uppers.

I'm sure I've missed a couple.

And as to contests being fun, the expression "I worked the contest" comes
from reality. It is work. If you want to win, you have to suffer some (more
in SS.) But even in CQWW CW with rates still over 100 an hour, Sunday
afternoon is work because you are dealing with severe sleep deprivation. But
it feels so good when it's over and you know you've made your best effort.

As to the Sunday afternoon doldrums in SS, club efforts to get the casual
members on and single ops using multiple calls is great and should be
encouraged.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT