[CQ-Contest] Three free Android Apps for contesters

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Three free Android Apps for contesters
From: Michael Dinkelman <mwdink@clearwire.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 14:54:24 -0800
The contest just ended and you turn off the radio wondering how you did.
Normally, you either plowed through the email from 3830/Archives or
you wait for the 3830 summary to show up at cq-contest or 3830.
What if you could just click an app on your phone or tablet and get the
latest breakdowns?

If you have an Android device, that opportunity has arrived. I have placed three
apps on Google Play that make this version of instant gratification possible.

(search Google Play for the following)

ARRL DX Summary  - supports CW / SSB
WPX Summary  - supports CW / SSB / RTTY
NAQP Summary - supports CW / SSB / RTTY  (summer and winter)

(that's 11 contests supported in all)

The NAQP will be useful after this weekends NAQP RTTY - others are coming.

These are pretty simple apps. You tell them to collect the scores and they go
and get them. (If you download some of the 2012 results be prepared to wait
as it may collect results from upwards of 1000 postings.) However, the next
time you run it, it just gets the new ones, if any.

The apps are more useful/fun just after the test. I ran the ARRL DX
one right after
the test last week - practically every five minutes. I was as bad as
my grandson
checking his tweets and instant messages.

You end up with a scrollable spreadsheet (check out the screenshots).
Ain't fancy
but useable. The price is right too - free. If you don't like it the
app, delete it.

You may have to configure the apps to use your phone network, the apps
default to
"Wifi only" to save data charges for those who care. The settings are
in the menu of
the first screen and you can select from a number of other options as well.

Now if you don't like, or can't access Play (i.e. Kindle Fire folks),
you can still get
the app - you just have to sideload the application file (APK). There
are plenty of
tutorials on how to do that on the Web - just use your favorite search
engine and
search for "sideload Kindle Fire".  The apps (and some screen shots)
are available at:

               http://www.eskimo.com/~mwdink/AndroidSummaryApps/

cheers
dink, n7wa