Re: [CQ-Contest] Single Op/Get Scores Assisted

To: CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Single Op/Get Scores Assisted
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 20:00:58 -0600
Perfectly fair.  Both have the same tools.

While we are visualizing and analogizing....

Let's give those chess players a computer and let them see which computer wins.
 Then lets be sure to ask the winner about how he feels about the victory.

Let's give the sailboat racers a motor.  The motor is better technology to move
the boat faster and that's the object of racing the boats.  Ask the better
sailer how he feels about his sport now that he has the improved technology to
move the boat.

Let's use a software that copies signals that you can't detect otherwise and
keep track of how many countries we have talked to by bouncing our signal off
the moon.  Maybe we can use some of that technology to copy those call signs in
our contests that we could not otherwise hear or copy.  That will surely add to
the fun.

Let's give everyone a list of all the stations who are calling CQ and what
frequency they are on so everyone with a mouse and keyboard can "work 'em all"
while never touching the dial on the radio.  Oops. Already done.

While we are at it lets bump that list against a master database of known good
call signs so we don't log someone that is a bad spot.  The computer and code
reader are not yet perfect.  Done.

Let's make it so someone who has never heard of ham radio and has absolutely
zero skill other than being an enthusiastic computer gamer can log stations at
well over 100 per hour.  Absolutely not a problem right now.

Speaking of computer gamers...What the heck, while we're at it lets just take
the RF and all those unsightly, pesky wires and antennas out of the game. Your
HOA will thank you. We might attract hundreds of thousands worldwide if we have
a good enough computer game, offer some real prizes and have sponsorships, etc.
  Other computer games have attracted  big numbers.  By gosh we can do it too,
and everyone knows without question the more people we can get involved
regardless of how it is done the better it will be.

No, the sky is not falling yet and contesting is fun now.  Let's make some
attempt to keep it that way.

73...Stan, K5GO

Sent from my iPad