[CQ-Contest] SEA DX perspective

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] SEA DX perspective
From: Charles Harpole <hs0zcw@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 18:10:52 +0700
You think the ARRL DX contests are boring... then do not operate them from
HS because the typical openings to NA are a little over an hour at local
sunrise and local sunset.  You may see that is about 5-6 hrs of contest
operating total, Day One.  Add to that the fact that all bands are jammed,
mostly with signals I can not hear even at the peak of the openings;  I can
not get a run going because I am very likely to be on top of a NA station
that I can not hear but who will block my signal entry to NA.

It takes both a big signal and antennas pointed my way to even hear NA, so
I work the 8 or ten stations on 20 that I can hear; the 5 or 6 on 15; and
squeeze out the fun of, at least, being heard those times, usually with
comments on my good sig strength; NA ops say they are surprised to hear HS
so loud.  Then, with 15 to 20 QSOs in the log, I have checked often and see
10 is dead and 40 will not be ok for another 2 to 3 hours into the night.
I worked 40 out when it opened with about 25 NA.  I have been at the radio
7-8  hours for about 50 contacts, filling out buro cards in between tuning,
and swinging my ants in the vain hope of long path.

Second day is worse because dups are more frequent than new ones.

Now extrapolate my experience to surrounding areas that can include VU, 9N,
A5, Bangladesh, all of Indo-China, and some degree 9M and Phillipines and
maybe even Singapore, as well as southern China.  You have to talk to the
VKs ZLs about their situation, but I think it is not much better.  Then you
may see what boring really is and why even during openings, few DX from
this area are on at all.

I am not complaining, really I am not, because I know what is coming and
just plan my daytimes to do other things, but I miss the action of a
contest where everyone works everyone.  I have 5 el monobanders on these
bands and a 2el full size 40 quad and top of the line radios, so dont tell
me I am not trying hard.

These are just the facts:  ARRL is an American club and its contests are
mostly for Americans-- makes sense to serve members.  I used to love them
as K4VUD.

Sign me as waiting for March 30....  73,
--
Charly, HS0ZCW