Re: [CQ-Contest] SEA DX perspective

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SEA DX perspective
From: "XV4Y (Yan)" <xv4y@nature-mekong.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 08:09:48 +0700
Hi Charlie,

I second you on all of that, except that Indochina is written in one word (just
like Thai-Land or Indo-Nesia) and does not exist anymore in geography. If we
talk about the Indochinese peninsula, it includes Thailand, Myanmar,
continental part of Malaysia and Singapore too.

"Closed contests" like the ARRL DX are boring, the worst being the REF
"Championnat de France HF" where the point system does not give any incitation
to foreign stations, but well like his name tell its the "French championship".
However, with me running 100W to simple antennas the other SSB contests are
hard too, and being closer to the magnetic equator my propagation is even more
volatile.
I soon realize that working EU stations was hard because of the high background
noise there. On a normal day S7 signals are ok but on a contest day signals are
below the QRM. I then setup a fixed 2 element Moxon beam to Europe expecting
better results to little avail on SSB.
The problem is that I am on the back of the antennas of most stations. NA
stations want to work SA or EU, EU want to work NA or SA, but having low HAM
populations in South-East Asia no contester beams to us.

The only contest I try to have a serious participation is the All Asian DX
because I know several neighboring stations will make the effort so I want to
give them point. Having a 1h or 48h participation will be the same for me,
mostly winning the contest for my country in the Low Power category.
However, one could think this contest could result in high points working
strings of JAs for me but no. JA to XV only count for 1 point so most JAs turn
their antennas to NA seeking for 3 points QSO. This is multiplied by 3 for 160m
and 2 for 80m and 10m, but the ratio is the same.

CW tends to level ground a little bit because better S/N ratio helps me with my
100W and the ability to call slightly up above the frequency give me a chance
to be heard if the other op is good. However, I don't consider myself to be
skilled enough CW operator to do well in a "serial number copy" contest.
Contests with "fixed" exchanges (age, power, province...) maybe ok though since
I can listen many time to what the other station is sending.

As a conclusion, I just want to say I am ok with that. XV is good for "running
a pile-up", average for "DX quest" and not a good location for contesting.
If one day a lot of western retirees settle in VN (like they do today in HS)
with big money to build big stations, perhaps it will less fun for "running
pile-ups" so the ratio may change and I could find the whole game boring...

73,
Yan.
---
Yannick DEVOS - XV4Y