Re: [CQ-Contest] Coping with Contester's Crouch

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Coping with Contester's Crouch
From: Katsuhiro Kondou <kondou@voyackey.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 00:08:29 +0900 (JST)
In article <513F8592.5060507@contesting.com>,
        Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com> wrote,
        on "Tue, 12 Mar 2013 15:44:18 -0400";

> So it was back to the physical therapist again, for more traction and
> electro-stimulation, but this time he suggested I try something else -
> a large lumbar cushion placed vertically in the lower back of my desk
> chair.  Because my weight would carried on the cushion rather than
> where my upper back rests against the chair, the effect would be to
> push my lower back forward, and shift my shoulders back.  I had been
> using a small one for driving, to help relieve some sciatica, so I
> figured, why not try it?

Some kind of chair have the shape to have our back to be formed like
the above.  I use Ergohuman in my home and at the JE1CKA's shack.
Until about a year ago, I had been using simple chairs with no comfort
both in my home and contesting environment.  These gave me stress and
then pain by merely sitting for 30 minutes.  Unfortunately, I got
economy class syndrome during All Asian SSB contest in 2011 under this
enviroment, which forced me to decide to use much more comfortable chair.
After several trial at furniture exhibition, I chose Ergohuman (but bought
it from auction site).  Some may choose Aeron, but I've been using this
one for over ten years in my office, but this does not fit me and I got
pain in my lower back before 1 hour usage.  With Ergohuman, the operating
environment got much improved, and I've never felt stress by sitting
during contest.  Only one drawback of this chair is that it's quite
comfortable and I tend to sleep during operation :)

> The particular cushion I use is by Tempur-Pedic, and is close to 3
> inches thick.  No particular brand preference here, except that the
> temperature sensitive foam adjusts nicely to spread the pressure
> across my back.

When I operate somewhere other than at JE1CKA, I always bring two similar
low rebound cushions.  This helps to some degree.

> And of course, I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.  YMMV, etc.

Ditto.
--
Katsuhiro "Don" Kondou, JH5GHM|JH1GBZ